Pages

Tuesday 26 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 2

Day 2 - The Roaring 20’s (The 1920s)
Activity 1 - Popular Culture – The Silent Movie 
On your blog, tell us what you think the movie is about. There are no words
spoken movie so you will need to pay careful attention to what the actors
are doing! Do you think you would enjoy watching a silent film?
Why/Why not?

I think that the movie is about when gold was found and people went wild
because they wanted to get rich. 
(This is a summary about the movie I found on the internet.)
“In this classic silent comedy, the Little Tramp (Charles Chaplin) heads
north to join in the Klondike gold rush. Trapped in a small cabin by a
blizzard, the Tramp is forced to share close quarters with a successful
prospector (Mack Swain) and a fugitive (Tom Murray). Eventually able to
leave the cabin, he falls for a lovely barmaid (Georgia Hale), trying valiantly
to win her affections. When the prospector needs help locating his claim,
it appears the Tramp's fortunes may change.”

I had to look up the words blizzard, prospector, barmaid, valiantly and
fugitive. These are their meanings:
Blizzard - A snowstorm with high winds
Fugitive - A person who has escaped from prison and is on the run
Barmaid - A person who works in a bar, who is also a waitress.
Prospector - A person who goes digging for gold.
Valiantly - being brave

I think I would enjoy a silent film so I can use my imagination and the
images to make up what I think the actors are saying. 

Activity 2 - Art Deco
On your blog, give the painting a rating out of 5 stars
(1 star = terrible painting, 2 stars = pretty bad painting,
3 stars = okay painting, 4 stars = good painting and
5 stars = amazing painting). After you’ve rated the painting out of 5,
tell us why you gave it that rating.

I give it a 5 because I really like the painting. I think it’s very creative and
lovely because Tamara de Lempicka drew a picture of a woman in her car.
I wouldn’t even try to do an Art Deco painting because painting people
using geometry angles looks tricky.  I would also like to see another
Art Deco painting. I am interested in this Art Deco because I have learned
that it appeared in France just before World War 1.


Bonus Activity - Crossing the Tasman 
Imagine that you were a member of the flight crew.
Write a poem that describes how you would have felt when you landed
safely in Christchurch after such a long trip. Remember, there are lots of
different types of poems, and they don’t all have to rhyme.
You can read more about different types of poems by clicking here.


4 comments:

  1. Hi there Dianne, thanks for writing a Haiku poem, these are my favourite!

    I love the strict syllable count of 5-7-5. I had to check to see if you'd followed it. Well done! It's not easy to stick to those syllables on each line.

    Have you written many before? What other kind of poems do you like? I really like rhyming ones.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Billy, thank you for commenting on my blog. I only like Haiku because they are really easy for me.

    For me I don't like rhyming ones because they are sometimes hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dianne, I have just read your review of the art deco painting. You've done a great job judging it on different aspects, well done. I like how you spoke about the geometric angles. What else did you like about it?

    What do you think of the colours the artist has used? What do you think of her red lipstick? Or the way she is staring at you? Do you like the car she is in? Or her outfit?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Namaste Dianne,
    my name is Cia. I am a Ako Hiko Summer Learning Journey commentator who will be working with various bloggers over the summer break.

    You have shared your thoughts about what the movie might be about in a brief paragraph and I think you captured the gist of it perfectly. I like that you’ve added a summary you found (were your thoughts correct?), just remember to credit the source you retrieved it from! I think it’s brilliant that you took the time to research new vocabulary, it really shows you value your learning and I’m very impressed!

    Perhaps next time you could add a bit more detail to your description. Where and when do you think the story was based? Maybe the summary you found could give you a clue..

    Unlike you I don’t think I’d enjoy silent movies that much at all. Although I love silent scenes in a movie I think dialogue can tell us more about complex information, ideas and themes in a movie. But then maybe if a movie is simple and straightforward I might change my mind..

    It was a joy to read your work, I look forward to seeing more!

    Toe feiloa’i fo’i ('See you again' in Samoan),

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete