Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 1

Week One: In the Beginning (1800-1870)
Activity 1
On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man.
What other stories have you heard about Maui?


3 Facts about Maui
1.I have learned that Maui wanted to go fishing with his older brothers.
2.I have also learned that Maui has his own hook that is a jawbone that his Ancestor Murirangawhenua gave him.
3.I have also learned that Murirangawhenua his Ancestor said to him that he will be a good fisherman.


Stories What I have heard about Maui
I have only heard the story about how Maui brought fire to world.


Activity 2: Setting Sail
On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand.


Dear Akesa,
I will be going on a trip to New Zealand, a new country.
They invited me to their trip to New Zealand and I accepted it and I accepted it because I want to travel
where I haven’t been to.


On the way there I was very terrified because I saw a sharks fin and I was so worried that it might bite my
that I sat still and didn’t move.
I saw a lot of clown fishes, they were so cute but I didn’t get close to the clown fish because something
might go wrong.


While we were still on our way to New Zealand it was getting dark and I was scared because we might not
see anything and we might be going the wrong way and then we might end up in a pod of crocodiles but
lucky one of the travelers had a torch and we made it safe.
Akesa, I have tell you, you are so lucky that you are not here.
Dianne


Bonus Activity: Waka Ama
Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day.
Why or why not?


I would like to join the Waka Ama race on day.
Why I would like to join the Waka Ama


I want to know how to paddle that fast and if we lose then that’s alright so I can learn what do I need to do
to win and as long as we try.
I liked the race because they paddled so fast that I think that no one can do it.
I think that in the Waka Ama if you practise tons of it then it will be easy and I also think that
you just have to think about yourselves and don’t let anyone distract you.
I think you have to be strong and fast because you will need it for the Waka Ama.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne,
    I love your work how you give me a intreasting fact about maui.
    I would love to see more work of that.

    keep it up


    By Akesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Akesa, Thank you very much for commenting on my blog. Have a great Holiday and Merry Christmas. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there Dianne, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. I look forward to blogging with you this summer.

    Congratulations on making a wonderful start. I really like the facts you have posted about Maui. I find it interesting in the story how his older brothers weren't very nice to him. Why do you think that was? Do you think they changed after he caught that massive fish?


    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy, thank you so much for commenting on my blog.

      I think that they didn't let Maui come is because maybe they thought that Maui wasn't a good fisherman. Yes, I think they changed after Maui caught the massive fish.

      Delete
    2. Haha yes I was thinking maybe they were just being mean older brothers. I think Maui sure did prove himself after catching that monster fish! He would have been able to feed his family for a long long time!

      Have you ever been fishing? I bet you haven't caught a fish as big as the North Island before!

      :)

      Billy

      Delete
  3. Hi again, what a terrific letter you have written. You have added so much detail and description - I am very impressed. I like how you talk about what you saw, sharks and clown fish. It sounds like a very dangerous journey. I would also be worried about bad weather and big waves.

    What do you think they did as soon as they arrived in New Zealand?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Again for commenting on my blog. I think they went t go find a place to sleep. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
    2. Yes I think you are right. They would have had to build a hut and make it water proof. I am sure it would have rained a lot more in New Zealand than back in the islands. It could have been a bit miserable to start with.

      Billy

      Delete
  4. Hey, I'm back again. Well done for completing the bonus activity. I think you did a great job describing your attitude towards Waka Ama. It's very positive. You have identified all of the benefits of Waka Ama such as learning to paddle and becoming strong and fit.

    Do you play any other sports? I mostly prefer ball sports like basketball and soccer.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again for commenting on my blog.I play Netball and Soccer.

      Delete
    2. No problem! Netball is a fantastic sport. I play indoor netball. What position do you play? It sure keeps me fit!

      Thanks, Billy

      Delete
  5. Hi Annie,
    It's Mikaela here and I really like the fact that you have joined the Summer Learning Journey.
    I like how you have expressed yourself to Akesa about your voyage to New Zealand.
    Your advice at the end of your letter seemed very helpful because of course some people can be very scared to travel out on water.
    In some of your pieces of writing I think that it wouldn't hurt if you would check it out and proof read so that everything is in structure and can be made sense of.
    I also can connect with what you think about the Waka Ama Sport because it does need a lot of strength, speed and concentration.

    Sincerely Mikaela,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mikaela, thank you for commenting on my blog and thank you for correcting me and now I know what I don't forget. Have a great Holiday and Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Dianne,
    I can really see the all of the hard work that you have put into this activity. What was your favrioute part about this activity? Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helena, thank you so much for commenting on my blog. My favourite part about this activity is the letter that we had to write to our friends.

      This is my favourite part because you can describe how was your trip and imagine the things that you saw. That is why that is my favourite part of the activities.

      I will make sure to comment on your blog, too. :)

      Delete