Pages

Monday 1 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 5


Day 5 - VE Day
Activity 1 
On your blog, tell us all about your (imaginary) VE party. 
If it was me, I would invite all of my closest friends and family over to my house for a big barbecue. We would eat hamburgers and play basketball in the driveway. Some of us would probably walk to the local beach to play soccer on the beach and to go for a swim (if the weather was warm enough)!
I would invite my closest friends and family. We could pack some cooked Tongan food and go to the beach on a sunny day. We would bring mats to sit on. I would play sand volleyball and bullrush with my friends. 

Activity 2 - Making a Fashion Statement 
On your blog tell us which of the two styles you prefer and why. The pictures above were taken over 65 years ago! What do you think people will be wearing 65 years from now?

I would prefer the one on the left because it has hats, gloves and they wear dresses that are down. I would prefer the one on the left because when it’s sunny I can protect my skin from the sun. I also would chose the one on the left because sometimes I like it when the dresses are down.


Bonus Activity - Sweet Tooth
I usually have a chocolate chip cookie with my tea. I love biscuits! What is your favourite sweet treat or dessert? Use google to find a recipe for it. Type the recipe out on your blog. Make sure you also include a picture.




Image result for cake popsImage result for cake pops

I like Cake pops because you can decorate it and do another flavor like red velvet, vanilla, banana and chocolate. I also like this is because you can create different shapes like owls, Hearts, Christmas presents, snowmen and roses.

Ingredients
  • Chocolate Cake, prepared (I used ½ of a 9x13 devils food box cake)
  • Chocolate Frosting (amount depends on moistness of cake. I used two big spoonfuls.
  • 2 boxes Premium white chocolate ( I used Baker's brand)
  • cake pop sticks
  • sprinkles
Instructions

  1. Add cake to a large bowl.
  2. Crumble until it resembles fine crumbs
  3. Add in frosting a little bit at a time until cake is moist and can hold a ball shape, yet still slightly crumbly.
  4. Use your hands to incorporate the frosting into the cake crumbs.
  5. Use a mini ice cream scoop and scoop out two balls of cake mixture.
  6. Roll the mixture into a tight ball and place on a plate.
  7. Repeat until all the cake mixture has been rolled into balls.
  8. Melt 2-4 ounces of white chocolate in the microwave.
  9. Dip the tip of the cake pop sticks into the white chocolate and insert into the cake balls about half-way.
  10. Freeze for about 20 minutes.
  11. Meanwhile prepare all of your decorating supplies.
  12. Melt the remaining chocolate in a large cup. Make sure you have enough chocolate to completely submerge the cake ball.
  13. Remove cake balls from freezer.
  14. Dip cake balls carefully into the chocolate until covered.
  15. Let the excess chocolate drip off. Swirl and tap gently if needed.
  16. Add the sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet. It will harden quickly.
  17. Stick the decorated cake pop into a styrofoam block to finish setting.
  18. Place into the freezer to speed up setting time.
  19. Cover with a clear treat bag & ribbon for gift giving, if desired.
  20. Store in a single layer, in an airtight container.

12 comments:

  1. Hey there Dianne, thanks for sharing your plans for a party following the victory of the second world war in Europe. It sounds like a really good time. I like how simple it is - beach, games and food. What more could you need!

    What sort of Tongan food would you make and bring?

    I love playing Bullrush. Do you play the tackle or tag version?

    At school we used to play tackle until people got hurt, then we had to play tag.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy, thank you so much for commenting on my blog. We play tag version just in case some one gets hurt.

      Other Tongan food that I would bring is Lu Sipi, potato salad, steak and sausages.

      Delete
  2. Yum! That sounds delicious.

    I'm glad you play tag. People always seem to get hurt when they were playing tackle.

    Thanks for replying!

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy, thank you so much for commenting on my blog. The cake pop does sound delicious right now. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi there Dianne, thank you for also commenting on the fashion from the 1940's. You have made some interesting observations about the different items they would have worn and for what occasions. Do you think you would prefer the fashion of the 1940's or would you prefer today's fashion?

    What do you think the fashion will be like in the future?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy, thank you for commenting on my blog. I would prefer today's fashion.

      Delete
  4. Cake pops! They sound delightful Dianne, I've never heard of them.

    Thank you for posting such a detailed recipe and list of ingredients. I like how you've also used a few measurements in your list of ingredients - this helps people to know exactly how many or how much of something they need.

    It's great because you can decorate them to match your preference and change the flavour with ease.

    Have you made these for someone's birthday before?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy, thank you so much for commenting on my blog. No, I haven't made these for someone's birthday before. But I would love to one day. :)

      Delete
  5. Kia ora Dianne,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    Activity 1: I really like the way you use colour. The way you have made the activity in blue and your response to the activity in red is a very organised and clear way to present your blog posts! Well done! It sounds like you would have a very fun VE party. Is there a particular beach you usually go to and would like to host your VE party there?

    Activity 2:I also prefer the women's outfits on the left. I think they look very classy and professional. I think they look like they are ready for work! Where do you think they might be going? You might want to think about adding the two pictures onto this blog post so that other people who may not know about the Summer Learning Journey activities can also see the different outfits.

    Activity 3: Yum!! I love cake pops! I think they are so cute and perfect for parties. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I really want to give it a go next time someone has a birthday!

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer. I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blogs. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emiely, Thank you so much for commenting on my blog.

      Delete
  6. Hi Dianne,

    I love the ingredients you put on your blog so we can try It. Thanks for sharing the delightful cake pop ingredients can't wait to try it many wishes and hopefully you can share more of your posts with us.

    From your best cousin Opeti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Opeti, thank you so much for commenting on my blog. :)

      Delete