Pages

Tuesday 25 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 day 2

Day 2. Fabulous flora
Activity 1
I have tried flax weaving and it is such a awesome experience for me because I get to learn how to create different kinds of objects out of flax. I would like to try to make other things with flax weaving because I want to be a pro at it and learning to make something out of a plant is really surprising.

Activity 2
Mike Tyson is a strong and tough person, his full name is Michael Gerard Tyson and he is a Americain pro boxer who completed 1985 to 2005. Her is the first person that popped into my mind when I thought of someone strong and tough and I think that he is in the movie called Ip Man. I like the way the how Mike Tyson dodges the other opponents punch because I can’t do that and I would just get punched.



Activity 3
Welwitschia Mirabilis
welwitschia mirabilis

Pitcher Plant

strangest and amazing plants

Similarities:
  1. They both don’t live in the ocean
  2. They both grow to become larger and larger
  3. They both have the colour green on some of their body parts
Difference:
  1. They have different type of facts
  2. The Welwitschia Mirabilis just continues to grow more and more.
  3. The smell of pitcher plants helps it to easily catch the prey.

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Dianne,

    Well done on completing another set of activities for week 2. It is great to hear that you've tried flax weaving before - what kind of objects did you make? Also if you could make anything out of flax, what would it be? I would love to make a picnic basket or a book cover. I hope it would turn out to be strong enough for me to use!

    I can see that you've picked Mike Tyson the American professional boxer as a strong figure. He must be super powerful and tough since boxing is his career and he would continuously train to become the best version of himself. Have you ever heard of this quote by Mike Tyson? It goes "God lets everything happen for a reason. It's all a learning process, and you have to go from one level to another". I really like this quote because he shows us what people see of him now has been slowly built through painful and meaningful lessons. I think he is trying to tell us that anything is possible if you set your mind to it.

    You have picked some interesting-looking plants to compare and contrast for your last activity. I think Welwitschia Mirabilis almost looks like a spider. What do you see?

    I also wonder what pitcher plants smell like. I'm sure you haven't smelled this plant before but how did other people describe the smell? Were you able to find this information? If you did, please share it with me.

    Keep up the good work and I'll blog ya later!

    From Susie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Susie,
      Thank you for commenting on my blog and out of flax I made 2 star necklace, the first one we had to give it to someone and I gave it to me dad. The second one we could just keep it and I enjoyed the making the stars it was so beautiful and fantastic. If I could make anything out of flax it would be a bag and I also hope it would be strong to be used.

      I have never heard that quote by Mike Tyson and I think that is a inspiring and useful quote. I agree with you on what he is trying to say.

      For me, the Welwitschia Mirabilis almost look like a octopus with so much tentacles.

      I have never smelt the pitcher plants and I have no idea how other people describe the smell. I think that I wasn't able to find the information.

      Thanks, Susie
      Dianne

      Delete
    2. Good afternoon Dianne,

      Thank you for taking your time to reply to my comment. Wow, a star necklace would have been pretty challenging to make since a star has 10 sides. Do you enjoy arts and crafts? Art used to be my favourite subject at school and I still love to paint and design during my free time.

      I would love to know what your hobbies and interests are :D

      Also, I just found out something interesting about the pitcher plant that could give us an idea of what the plant might smell like. Apparently it is called a carnivorous plant because of its prey-trapping mechanism. Flying or crawling insects such as flies are attracted to this plant and the smell comes from the rotting insects trapped in the pitchers. YUCK!

      Hope this helped,
      From Susie

      Delete
    3. Good Afternoon Susie,
      Yes,I enjoy arts and crafts so much and I love playing netball and soccer but don't get to play it that much anymore.

      Thanks, Susie
      Dianne

      Delete