Pages

Tuesday 1 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 2

Day 2. The Air Up There
Activity 1
The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to hum, buzz or drone.
Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of 54 kilometres per hour (km/h).
Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to 50 percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to 90 times as much work as a normal honeybee.
The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the removal of wildflowers and flowering trees, habitat loss, and extensive use of pesticides.


Activity 2

These are all the foods that I would like to put in my special sink and there is more but I can’t think of them at the moment.
  • Tomato
  • Brussel sprouts
  • Beans



Activity 3

I think that it would take about 2 hours to remove all of those molds one at a time. I think that it is 2 hours because I just took away 7 to the 5 and it is 2 hours. This might not be the answer because I didn't quite get this question and I didn’t understand it.

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Dianne,

    I'm enjoying reading your blog!

    I have a question for you, what can we do to help stop the declining numbers of bumblebees, and bees in general? II don't have an answer but I'd love to hear your suggestions. Take your time.

    You're not alone in finding that mould question tricky! I think the yucky mould is putting people off

    Try this:

    7 moulds, 5 days to remove each
    so 7 lots of 5.

    I'm putting the points in for you anyway for attempting it, but let me know if that makes it clearer!

    Have a great day
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lee,
    Thank you again for commenting on my blog and I think that 7 lots of 5 is 35.

    Maybe we could raise like a fundraiser or something like that and explain to the people how bumblebees and bees are actually like. That is my suggestion and let me know if you don't understand it.

    Thank you so much for putting the points in for attempting it and yes it does makes it clearer.

    You also have a great and awesome day.
    Thanks, Lee
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete