Pages

Friday 20 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey Week 1 Day 5

Friday 20 December 
Week 1
Day 5: Against the Odds 
Activity 1: National Treasure
  1. My netbook is important to me because I have already broke my 1st netbook that was given to me by my cousin and when I broke it, I wasn’t thinking properly because I broke it by playing with a little truck toy and my netbook was right beside me and the toy accidentally hit the screen of my old netbook. I told my teacher and then she told me it’s alright and then she gave me a new netbook, which I am using right now.
  2. My family is so important to me because they are everything to me and without them I don’t know what I would do, they are also important to me because I love them so much. They mean everything to me and they are there when I need them.
  3. My best friends are important to me because they make me smile like mostly everyday and they are like sisters to me and I love them so much, my best friends are Kesa and Sia.


Activity 2: Swimming to Safety
In 2015, Yusra and her elder sister fled and set off a dangerous journey to Europe to find safety, they travelled through Lebanon to Turkey before leaving for Greece in an overcrowded dinghy however 15 minutes into the sea crossing, the boat’s engine failed so Yusra didn’t want to let any of her passengers drown. Yusra is also a professional swimmer, Yusra, her sister and two others swam for three and a half hours in open water to stop their dinghy turn upside down. They saved 20 people. 

Image result for Yusra
Activity 3: Own Choice

  1. Tamatea
  2. Tamatea sailed all around the North and the South Islands and also explored inland, he was sometimes called Tamatea-pokaiwhenua which means land explorer or Tamatea-pokaimoana which means sea explorer. He was one of New Zealand’s greatest explorers and has been described as the Maori Marco Polo.
  3. I think that him travelling to different places definitely inspired people to travel anywhere they want and definitely inspired them that they can get far by just doing what they love. 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Dianne

    Well done for participating in this years' SLJ programme, "Changemakers: People who have changed the world" - I appreciate that you've done all 3 activities in one blog post, what great initiative! I'm going to comment on your response to Activity 2: Swimming to Safety.

    That was a great recount of Yusra's incredibly brave story - how impressive is she?! I can't believe she swam for 3 1/2 hours! I can barely swim for half an hour let alone that long. Do you think you'd be able to do what Yusra did, if you were in a similar situation where people's lives were at risk? I'd definitely give it a good shot!

    Looking forward to your next blog post.

    Ngā mihi,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete